The best outfit for this Summer!
Valentine is a pure silk summer tee with a circular lace yoke. One or two skeins of lace yarn are more than enough to knit this tee which is a real pleasure to wear.
Valentine, a Tee to Knit and Wear this Summer
1. The story behind this pure silk tee
A few weeks ago, I suddenly needed some beams.
And a little tee that barely touches the skin when you wear it during the hot weather.
The two cherry red skeins that were in my stash seemed obvious to me, especially since they were pure silk from Bart & Francis, the aptly named PowderSoft, soft as baby powder.
That’s how the tee Valentine was born.
2. The construction of this summer pure silk tee
If you follow me on social medias, you know that I very rarely offer sweaters built from the bottom up and this one is not an exception.
It is a tee knitted from the top starting with a few rows of 1*1 ribs and then embellished with some rows of an airy lace panel.
Once this part is done, you start the body in stockinette stitch. A few increases along the sides give an A-shape to this tee.
You end the body with an I-cord edge.
The sleeves are added afterwards and end with the same kind of I-Cord edge.
If you wish, you can also add an I Cord to tighten the neckline a little bit if it seems too large.
3. What level is needed to knit Valentine?
This pattern is not very complicated to knit, but it is still not intended for beginners.
The most difficult points you might encounter are:
- the lace part which requires the ability to read a chart or a lace panel written instructions
- to know single and double decreases, increases and yarn overs
- the type of yarn chosen: a lace yarn made of pure silk which can be a little complicated to handle when you are a beginner because it slips quite strongly especially on metal needles.
4. Where to buy the pattern?
5. Which sizes are available for this summer tee?
XS [S, M] [L, XL] [2XL, 3XL, 4XL]
The pattern is available from 91.5 cm to 160 cm finished chest measurements and it’s designed to fit with positive ease (+15 – +30 cm).
To understand the ease, I suggest you watch the video below (in French):
It can be worn with more or less ease (in these pictures, the ease is 25 cm for a size M).
6. Which yarn and material are suggested for knitting this tee?
The suggested yarn is the Bart & Francis Powder Soft (100% silk) in 700 m per 100 g. You will need about 628 [732, 808] [892, 975] [1049, 1129, 1219] m or 1 (2, 2) (2, 2) (2, 2, 2) skeins.
Of course, you can use another yan such as a linen one, a blend of merino and silk etc. as long as this yarn gives a certain drape.
Notions and needles required are as follow:
- 2.75 mm (US 2) 100 cm (40″) circ needle
- 3.25 mm (US 3) 100 cm (40″) circ needle
- Set of 3.25 mm (US 3) DPNs for the sleeves or needles for your preferred method of small circumference knitting
- Tapestry needle
- 8 Stitch markers
Finally, why did I name this tee Valentine?
As you all know, one of my big weaknesses is not being able to name my patterns, so I often call on you.
Valentine is a name that was suggested by one of my YouTuber followers.
It is true that it suits it well: a panel that could make you think of little hearts and a beautiful cherry red color, everything to make you think of love as well as Valentine and Valentine’s lovers.
I hope this pure silk tee will make you fall for it and that this article will make you want to knit it.
If you would like to share comments and feedback, please feel free to do so below.
If you want to share this article with other people don’t hesitate to relay it via social medias (just click on the buttons here below).
See you soon,